Save Lives, Get Love
Thousands of puppies and kittens are born each and every day in Indonesia.
One female dog can be the source of 67.000 puppies in just seven years,
considering that her puppies can go on to have their own puppies and so on. Similarly,
one female cat and her young can produce a huge
420.000 kittens in the same amount of time. Thousands of these unwanted animals are
killed every single day, many of them are abused, tortured, shot, euthanised or slaughtered.
Others are left neglected and starved, dumped in the trash, drowned in rivers, left to
suffocate in plastic bags, abandoned in the middle of the street, or injured and
left to die. Those who are 'lucky' enough to survive become stray animals,
and live a harsh life wandering in search of food, water and shelter to survive,
unwelcomed wherever they go.
Every day, Animal Friends Jogja (AFJ) receives many requests to rescue stray, injured or abused animals. Unfortunately, AFJ has only limited resources & little space in our halfway house and we can only rescue animals that are really in serious and immediate danger or seriously injured. However, all animals in our halfway house are given the best care we can provide them with and we are trying so hard to share the same amount of love and attention they are despertaely need. Most of them are transforming into a happy and healthy animals which next is available for adoption.
Adoption & Foster Care Program
Adoption is a process where a candidate (person/group/family) would like to make a lifetime commitment to take a full responsibility for a previously rescued, abandoned, dumped or neglected animal. Adoption is not about finding a pet that suit your needs or interests, but it is more about finding a suitable companion (life partner) for both adopters and the adoptee (the animals). This program is carried out under our strict policies to ensure the animal will no longer suffer and will be adopted in a suitable home where they can live the rest of their lives in a safe, happy and loving environment. When you adopt, you save a life !
Foster Care is a process where a candidate (person/group/family) willing to to provide a temporary shelter and temporarily take the responsibility to take care for a previously rescued, abandoned, dumped or neglected animals until they are adopted. Foster care is one of the best options for foreigners or students who come from outside Yogyakarta and want to share some love during stay in the city. It is also a good option for people who are still unsure if they are ready for the full commitment of adopting an animal or not. When someone become a foster parent first, usually they fall in love with the animal in their care and end up taking their relationship to the next level: Adoption!
One thing to remember, when you start fostering, please understand that these animals are mostly have been suffered a lot and need certain amount of time to adapt before they can "look" happy and comfortable in their new environment.
There are many reasons to adopt (rather than buy or shop). By adopting, you will get a very beautiful, loyal, and grateful companion. Some more reasons which might support your decision to adopt are:
- You'll save TWO lives By adopting a stray, you can help reduce the numbers of innocent animals 'eliminated' by shelters and government each day. The numbers of euthanised animals would be reduced dramatically if more people decided to adopt animals instead of buying. You Save TWO lives! By adopting from a private animal shelters, rescue group, or trusted organizations, you'll help save the lives of TWO animals; first is the adopted animals and second is the next homeless animal which may fill the available space left by your companion animals
- You'll save money Adoption is always less expensive rather than buying. In addition, these animals are already spayed or neutered and vaccinated, and taken care by people who loves animals, which makes the adoption fee that you pay as the real deal
- You'll get a healthy companion Our animals are happy animals, they are just waiting for someone to take them home as a family. We always run the health check procedures from the time they were being rescued and arrived to our halfway house. We make a commitment to spay or neuter our animals before they get adopted.
- You'll feel better "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face" --Ben Williams, Author.
- You won't be supporting puppy mills and pet store Puppy mills are "factory style" dog-breeding facilities that put profit above the welfare of animals. Most dogs raised in puppy mills are housed in shockingly poor conditions with improper medical care, and the parents of the puppies are kept in cages to be bred over and over for years, without human companionship and with little hope of ever joining a family. When they are no longer profitable, breeding dogs are simply discarded - either killed, abandoned, sold at auction or to slaughter.
Animals have a special way of putting a smile on your face & a spring in your step. Not only do animals give you unconditional love, but they have been shown to be psychologically, emotionally, and physically beneficial. Caring for a companion animal can provide a sense of purpose and fulfilment and lessen feelings of loneliness and isolation as you share your life with someone who loves you endlessly. A companion animal can help boost your physical health as well; just spending time with them is relaxing and can help lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Activities like dog walking, pet grooming, and even petting provide increased physical activity that can help strengthen the heart and improve blood circulation. When they said smiling and laughter are the best medicine, we know that our animal provides plenty of both! Put simply, a companion animal is not just a good friend, they are a good all round booster for every area in our life
Many of these puppies have serious behavioural and health problems that might not be apparent for months, including medical problems that can cost thousands of dollars to treat, if they are treatable at all. These poor health and behavioural problems stem from the fact that their mother is often in poor health for pregnancy due to exhaustion and malnutrition and so the puppies are not properly nourished during their development.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are not even aware that puppy mills do exist, so when they buy an animal from a pet store, online or from another retail outlet, they are unwittingly supporting this cruel industry. By adopting instead of buying, you can be sure that you are not supporting puppy mills again with your money. Puppy mills will continue to operate until people stop purchasing dogs. They operate based on the demand, means if you dont request, the demand will also stop. Instead of buying a dog, visit your local animal welfare organization or shelters where you will likely find dozens of healthy, well-socialised puppies and adult dogs of all varieties (including purebreds) are waiting for your chance to be a part of a family.
Our Adoption program is designed for people who are prepared to accept full responsibility and make a full and serious commitment to an animal. Some people say that our adoption program is very strict, but we consider these necessary standards to ensure the safety, happiness and health of our animals and also for the adopters. Before decided to apply for adoption program, please check some of these items:
- You need to consult everyone living in your house about the adoption (housemates, family, landlord) and also neighbours
- You must have sufficient income or savings to provide the needs of the animal, including; proper food, suitable and sheltered place to live (a covered outside cage, a kennel, warm bedding) and their health care bills (check ups, illness that may arise, flea and deworming treatments)
- Check your daily routine and schedule, make sure you have enough time to walk, feed, and play with them everyday. You will also need to have time to clean their living space and water bowls and to bathe them regularly
- You might need to prepare a leash (for the dog) or proper carrier cage (for cats) during movement stage to their new environment (your house)
- You need to think ahead about who or where you will be able to keep them safe and properly cared for when you are not at home or when you are going out of town or on holiday
- You need to think ahead about your future plan, whether it is a marriage, baby birth or future study plan
How to Adopt from AFJ?
Many people still think that adoption is a process whereby someone comes to the organisation, look around, choose an animal and walks away with an animal. AFJ adoption program is not anything similar like that. There are procedures that you should first, need to complete before. If you want to adopt a companion animal or want to be a foster care with Animal Friends Jogja, please follow these steps:
- Step I Download AFJ Adoption form or the Foster Care form through the link available.
- Step II Please be patient while waiting for your application to be processed by our adoption team as we are working with limited resources. Our adoption team will then contact you to let you know whether or not your application has been accepted
- Step III If your application is successful, we will contact you to make an appointment to carry out a survey and home visit. In this visit, we will ask several question to assess your "credibility" as a potential adopters and to check whether your living environment would make a suitable home for the selected animals or not
- Step IV If your home visit is successful, we will invite you to come and meet with the animal you have shown an interest in and see whether you two are a good match for each other :)
- Step V If you reach this final step, then it looks like you have impressed us as an animal lover and a carer you are soon to become a parent to a furry new friend! All that is left to do is to finish the paperwork and then make an arrangement with us to organise the day of the big transfer of your new companion animal to their forever home :) and of course allowing a quick time for us to say our goodbyes to our friend and give them a last big cuddle and hug and wish them good luck!
Complete the relevant form and send back via email to email@example.com and cc to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: "ADOPTION" or "ADOPSI"
Another way to adopt: ADOPSI App
Thanks to one of our volunteer, the adoption process is now also available in a Mobile Application. By using ADOPSI (the name of the apps), we can simplified steps I to III with technology. It is more environment friendly because it reduces more paper, and the most important thing is.. As handy as it fits in your hand, ADOPSI makes more people aware of Adoption and educate public that there is a process called adoption as a solution to a wrong concept of buying animals.
You can download ADOPSI app here